Protest against candidature of Kirron Kher from Chandigarh
Chandigarh: A day after BJP announced the candidature of actor Kirron Kher from the Chandigarh Lok Sabha constituency, a section of party activists on Sunday staged a protest here demanding that she be replaced with a local leader as the party`s nominee.
A group of party workers, reportedly owing allegiance to the local BJP unit, held protest and burnt a effigy of Kher.
They demanded that the party`s central leadership reviews its decision to field Kher (58), wife of actor Anupam Kher, from Chandigarh.
They said the party should field any of the three local party leaders -- Sanjay Tandon, Harmohan Dhawan and Satyapal Jain -- who were top contenders for the seat.
Both Dhawan and Tandon said they would support the candidate nominated by the party, even as their supporters expressed resentment by staging protests.
Kirron is expected to reach the city on March 18 from Mumbai.
Kirron will be contesting against four-time MP Pawan Kumar Bansal of Congress. Also in the fray are former Miss India Gul Panag of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and Jannat Jahan of BSP.
- Soil from grave of World War-I hero, Risaldar Badlu Singh, brought to India by BJP minister
- 'Sighed with relief only after Osama Bin Laden's body reached Afghanistan' - Barack Obama in candid interview
- Sony launches water-resistant SRS-XB3 portable wireless speakers at Rs 12,990
- Check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in for Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016
- Rahul Gandhi as UP CM? Twitteratis had a blast