Protest against candidature of Kirron Kher from Chandigarh
Chandigarh: A day after BJP announced the candidature of actor Kirron Kher from the Chandigarh Lok Sabha constituency, a section of party activists on Sunday staged a protest here demanding that she be replaced with a local leader as the party`s nominee.
A group of party workers, reportedly owing allegiance to the local BJP unit, held protest and burnt a effigy of Kher.
They demanded that the party`s central leadership reviews its decision to field Kher (58), wife of actor Anupam Kher, from Chandigarh.
They said the party should field any of the three local party leaders -- Sanjay Tandon, Harmohan Dhawan and Satyapal Jain -- who were top contenders for the seat.
Both Dhawan and Tandon said they would support the candidate nominated by the party, even as their supporters expressed resentment by staging protests.
Kirron is expected to reach the city on March 18 from Mumbai.
Kirron will be contesting against four-time MP Pawan Kumar Bansal of Congress. Also in the fray are former Miss India Gul Panag of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and Jannat Jahan of BSP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Video alert! Salman Khan’s reaction to ‘marriage wala sawal’ at ‘Sultan’ trailer launch is EPIC
- Ryan Gosling lends 'feminine energy' in bromance with Russell Crowe in 'The Graham Norton Show'
- Manchester United: Were the Red Devils wrong in sacking Louis van Gaal?
- Dombivali blast: What actually led to fire mishap in chemical factory and what all eyewitnesses saw
- Beyond Leicester City and Premier League: Understanding English Football Pyramid