Protest galore against PM`s three-hour Assam visit
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s three-hour visit to file his nomination paper for his fifth Rajya Sabha term was marred by widespread protests by different organisations.
Opposition BJP members staged a silent protest with black cloth strapped across their mouths outside the party`s district office here protesting protesting alleged failure of Singh to resolve various problems being faced by Assam including illegal migration, sealing of borders, flood and erosion.
All Assam Students` Union (AASU) also staged a novel protest with 15 persons dressed and masked as the Prime Minister.
AASU advisor Samujjal Bhattacharya said they were protesting the Prime Minister`s nomination from the state to the Rajya Sabha as he had ``failed to implement the Assam Accord, ensure updating of the National Register of Citizens and to solve the problem of flood and erosion``.
The CPI(M) also protested against the Prime Minister`s nomination from Assam by waving black flag at Singh when he was passing through Jalukbari area and staging dharna in different parts of the state.
CPI(M) leader Hemen Das charged the Prime Minister has done nothing for the people of Assam and ``I am surprised to see why Congress has been selecting him as our representative from Assam``.
Some media persons also staged a protest outside Assam assembly for not being allowed to cover the Prime Minister`s filing of nomination papers for the Rajya Sabha seat.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India