Protest galore against PM`s three-hour Assam visit
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s three-hour visit to file his nomination paper for his fifth Rajya Sabha term was marred by widespread protests by different organisations.
Opposition BJP members staged a silent protest with black cloth strapped across their mouths outside the party`s district office here protesting protesting alleged failure of Singh to resolve various problems being faced by Assam including illegal migration, sealing of borders, flood and erosion.
All Assam Students` Union (AASU) also staged a novel protest with 15 persons dressed and masked as the Prime Minister.
AASU advisor Samujjal Bhattacharya said they were protesting the Prime Minister`s nomination from the state to the Rajya Sabha as he had ``failed to implement the Assam Accord, ensure updating of the National Register of Citizens and to solve the problem of flood and erosion``.
The CPI(M) also protested against the Prime Minister`s nomination from Assam by waving black flag at Singh when he was passing through Jalukbari area and staging dharna in different parts of the state.
CPI(M) leader Hemen Das charged the Prime Minister has done nothing for the people of Assam and ``I am surprised to see why Congress has been selecting him as our representative from Assam``.
Some media persons also staged a protest outside Assam assembly for not being allowed to cover the Prime Minister`s filing of nomination papers for the Rajya Sabha seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez