Protest galore against PM`s three-hour Assam visit
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s three-hour visit to file his nomination paper for his fifth Rajya Sabha term was marred by widespread protests by different organisations.
Opposition BJP members staged a silent protest with black cloth strapped across their mouths outside the party`s district office here protesting protesting alleged failure of Singh to resolve various problems being faced by Assam including illegal migration, sealing of borders, flood and erosion.
All Assam Students` Union (AASU) also staged a novel protest with 15 persons dressed and masked as the Prime Minister.
AASU advisor Samujjal Bhattacharya said they were protesting the Prime Minister`s nomination from the state to the Rajya Sabha as he had ``failed to implement the Assam Accord, ensure updating of the National Register of Citizens and to solve the problem of flood and erosion``.
The CPI(M) also protested against the Prime Minister`s nomination from Assam by waving black flag at Singh when he was passing through Jalukbari area and staging dharna in different parts of the state.
CPI(M) leader Hemen Das charged the Prime Minister has done nothing for the people of Assam and ``I am surprised to see why Congress has been selecting him as our representative from Assam``.
Some media persons also staged a protest outside Assam assembly for not being allowed to cover the Prime Minister`s filing of nomination papers for the Rajya Sabha seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues