Protests erupt in Sarabjit Singh`s native village
Amritsar: Angry protests broke out in Sarabjit Singh`s native Bhikhiwind village on Thursday after the Indian prisoner died in a Lahore hospital with villagers lashing out at Pakistani authorities for the deadly attack on him. Shouting anti-Pakistan slogans, several villagers burnt Pakistani flags to register their protest.
During their protest demonstrations, the villagers charged Pakistan with murdering Sarabjit. They also lashed out at Pakistani authorities for not shifting Sarabjit to some other country for "proper treatment."
Villagers downed all business establishments in the area to protest the brutal attack on Singh by inmates in a Lahore jail.
Locals of the sleepy border village started to throng Singh`s house as soon as they got the news about his death. However, Singh`s family members have been camping in Delhi since Wednesday and are expected to reach Amritsar by evening.
Singh died of cardiac arrest in a Lahore hospital in the wee hours of Thursday after being comatose for nearly a week following the assault by fellow inmates in a high-security Pakistani jail.
Sarabjit`s wife Sukhpreet Kaur, daughters Poonam and Swapandeep Kaur and sister Dalbir Kaur, who went to Lahore on Tuesday to see him, returned to India on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'