Protests erupt in Sarabjit Singh`s native village
Amritsar: Angry protests broke out in Sarabjit Singh`s native Bhikhiwind village on Thursday after the Indian prisoner died in a Lahore hospital with villagers lashing out at Pakistani authorities for the deadly attack on him. Shouting anti-Pakistan slogans, several villagers burnt Pakistani flags to register their protest.
During their protest demonstrations, the villagers charged Pakistan with murdering Sarabjit. They also lashed out at Pakistani authorities for not shifting Sarabjit to some other country for "proper treatment."
Villagers downed all business establishments in the area to protest the brutal attack on Singh by inmates in a Lahore jail.
Locals of the sleepy border village started to throng Singh`s house as soon as they got the news about his death. However, Singh`s family members have been camping in Delhi since Wednesday and are expected to reach Amritsar by evening.
Singh died of cardiac arrest in a Lahore hospital in the wee hours of Thursday after being comatose for nearly a week following the assault by fellow inmates in a high-security Pakistani jail.
Sarabjit`s wife Sukhpreet Kaur, daughters Poonam and Swapandeep Kaur and sister Dalbir Kaur, who went to Lahore on Tuesday to see him, returned to India on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars