Protests erupt in Sarabjit Singh`s native village
Amritsar: Angry protests broke out in Sarabjit Singh`s native Bhikhiwind village on Thursday after the Indian prisoner died in a Lahore hospital with villagers lashing out at Pakistani authorities for the deadly attack on him. Shouting anti-Pakistan slogans, several villagers burnt Pakistani flags to register their protest.
During their protest demonstrations, the villagers charged Pakistan with murdering Sarabjit. They also lashed out at Pakistani authorities for not shifting Sarabjit to some other country for "proper treatment."
Villagers downed all business establishments in the area to protest the brutal attack on Singh by inmates in a Lahore jail.
Locals of the sleepy border village started to throng Singh`s house as soon as they got the news about his death. However, Singh`s family members have been camping in Delhi since Wednesday and are expected to reach Amritsar by evening.
Singh died of cardiac arrest in a Lahore hospital in the wee hours of Thursday after being comatose for nearly a week following the assault by fellow inmates in a high-security Pakistani jail.
Sarabjit`s wife Sukhpreet Kaur, daughters Poonam and Swapandeep Kaur and sister Dalbir Kaur, who went to Lahore on Tuesday to see him, returned to India on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!