Protests in Anantnag after curfew relaxed
Srinagar: Police fired warning shots and
lobbed teargas shells to disperse stone-pelting protestors
during two-hour curfew relaxation in old Anantnag town Saturday morning even as authorities imposed curfew in two more areas
of Trehgam and Kupwara towns after agitation by locals.
Barring uptown areas of Srinagar, curfew restrictions
continued to be in place in Baramulla, Mattan, Bijbehara,
Dooru, Kokernag, Achhabal in Anantnag, Qaimoh in Kulgam and
Curfew imposed in Anantnag town on June 29 following
killing of three persons was relaxed for two hours from 7.00 am
this morning in old town areas. However, the relaxation was
withdrawn as people took to the streets in Lal Chowk and
Sherpora areas and pelted stones on law enforcing agencies,
As the protests intensified, police lobbed tear gas
shells and fired in the air to disperse the protestors, police
said, adding no one was injured.
Authorities imposed curfew in Trehgam and Kupwara
towns in Kupwara district today which witnessed protests
yesterday in which three persons were injured.
In Srinagar, authorities lifted curfew from civil
lines area but the restrictions continued in the four police
station areas of Nowhatta, Khanyar, Maharajgun and Safakadal
areas in view of the tense situation in the wake of protests
by residents last night, police said.
Restrictions were also in place in Maisuma in the
heart of the city.
Curfew was imposed in seven police station areas of
old city on June 28 following violent protests over the
killing of youths in alleged firing by security forces.
Additional contingents of police and paramilitary
forces continued to patrol the deserted streets of the valley,
where life remained crippled for the eighth successive day due
to the curfew restrictions and strike.
Government offices, educational institutions, banks,
semi-government offices, shops and business markets remained
closed and transport, both public and private, was off the
Meanwhile, Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission
postponed exams scheduled today and tomorrow.
"The examinations and screening tests scheduled for 3rd
July and 4th July 2010 have been postponed", the commission
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore