Protests in J&K over Sarabjit Singh attack, Chinese incursion
Jammu: Protests condemning attack on Sarabjit Singh in a Pakistani jail and Chinese incursion in Ladakh region were held in the city on Saturday.
Activists of Hurriyat Conference of Jammu (HCoJ), floated recently to advocate nationalism and strengthen nationalist forces in Jammu, took to the streets to protest the attack on Sarabjit in a jail in Lahore.
Hitting out at Pakistan for its failure to protect Indian prisoners in its jails, the agitators led by HCoJ chairman Chetan Sharma burnt an effigy representing the Pakistani government and demanded action against those responsible for the attack.
They said India should send a team of doctors to Pakistan to assist in Sarabjit`s treatment.
Meanwhile, Jammu West Assembly Movement (JWAM) activists led by its president Sunil Dimple held a demonstration in New Plot area demanding that the Centre should take firm measures against the aggressive posturing by Chinese troops which have set up a tented post in Daulat Beg Oldie sector in Ladakh.
"We want the Indian government to act fast to evict the Chinese troops from Ladakh this is a serious issue (but) the government has taken it lightly," Dimple said.
He called upon the Union defence, home and foreign ministers to visit Jammu and Kashmir and assess the situation along the borders, particularly in Ladakh.
Condemning the attack on Sarabjit, Dimple asked the Centre to take up the issue with Pakistan.
"Sarabjit should be released as he is not safe in the Pakistani jail," he said.
Dimple also condemned yesterday`s killing of four police personnel by militants in Sopore area of Baramulla district.
Meanwhile, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) also held a massive protest over the attack on Sarabjit during which they burnt a Pakistani flag.
Led by BJYM district president Ajay Vaid, protesters shouted anti-Pakistan slogans and demanded severe punishment for those involved in the attack on the Indian prisoner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery