Protests outside Israeli Embassy in Delhi over airstrikes in Gaza Strip
New Delhi: Scores of protesters, mostly students of Jawaharlal Nehru University had gathered outside the Israeli Embassy here on Sunday to protest against Israel`s air strikes in the Gaza Strip resulting in civilian casualties.
"There were around 70-80 protesters mostly students from JNU. They reached the Israeli embassy at around 2 PM, staged a demonstration and dispersed on their own," said Additional Commissioner of Police S B S Tyagi.
They chanted slogans like "free Palestine" against the Israeli air strikes in Gaza and carried placards which read "free Palestine" and "In Solidarity with Gaza," Tyagi said.
As per media reports, similar protests were also held in various other countries today to condemn the military offensive in Gaza.
As Israel`s air campaign in the Gaza Strip entered its sixth day, the overall death toll rose to 165 with more than 1,000 injured and the UN Security Council called on both sides to declare a ceasefire. Israel has also mounted a ground assault there.
Israel had began Operation Protective Edge before dawn on Tuesday in an attempt to halt cross-border rocket fire by militant groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'