Protests outside Israeli Embassy in Delhi over airstrikes in Gaza Strip
New Delhi: Scores of protesters, mostly students of Jawaharlal Nehru University had gathered outside the Israeli Embassy here on Sunday to protest against Israel`s air strikes in the Gaza Strip resulting in civilian casualties.
"There were around 70-80 protesters mostly students from JNU. They reached the Israeli embassy at around 2 PM, staged a demonstration and dispersed on their own," said Additional Commissioner of Police S B S Tyagi.
They chanted slogans like "free Palestine" against the Israeli air strikes in Gaza and carried placards which read "free Palestine" and "In Solidarity with Gaza," Tyagi said.
As per media reports, similar protests were also held in various other countries today to condemn the military offensive in Gaza.
As Israel`s air campaign in the Gaza Strip entered its sixth day, the overall death toll rose to 165 with more than 1,000 injured and the UN Security Council called on both sides to declare a ceasefire. Israel has also mounted a ground assault there.
Israel had began Operation Protective Edge before dawn on Tuesday in an attempt to halt cross-border rocket fire by militant groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amarnath Yatra: J&K DGP reviews security arrangements
- Eoin Morgan picks Anil Kumble and MS Dhoni in All-time XI, no place for Sachin Tendulkar
- Dominika Cibulkova stuns Agniezka Radwanska, enters Eastbourne final
- Three arrested for forcing Kerala nursing student to drink toilet cleaner
- Copa-Euro showdown: Proposal made for match between Copa America and Euro 2016 winners