Protests over Sajjan`s acquittal hit rail traffic
Amritsar/Ludhiana: Rail traffic was disrupted for several hours on Sunday morning as activists of various Sikh outfits squatted on tracks to protest the acquittal of Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in an anti-Sikh riots case.
Prominent trains hit due to the protests included Shatabadi Express, Amritsar-Sehersa Express, Jammu-Chennai Express, New Delhi-Amritsar Superfast, Chhattisgarh-Amritsar Express, Howrah-Amritsar Express and Amritsar-Mumbai Paschim Express, railway sources said.
The protesters jointly led by SGPC member Gurinder Pal Singh Gora and Sikh Student Federation (Mehta) district president Surinder Pal Sandhu blocked Ravi Express at Batala Railway Station for an hour, officials said.
In Ludhiana, members of Sikh Danga Peerat Society and All India Sikh Student Federation sat on dharna on railway lines, paralysing rail traffic on main line towards Delhi and Amritsar for around six hours, officials said.
They warned that if the government failed to take appropriate steps to ensure punishment for the culprits, the agitation would be further stepped up in coming days. The main Ludhiana Delhi rail route remained suspended for four hours.
Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) president Avtar Singh Makkar also addressed the protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand