Provide 3% reservation in govt jobs to disabled: SC to govts
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday directed the Central and all state governments to provide reservation to disabled persons in government jobs.
The apex court has capped the quota for disabled persons in government jobs at three per cent.
A bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam also clarified that the principle of not exceeding more than 50 per cent reservation would not be applicable while granting quota for disabled persons.
The court further directed the governments to implement reservation for the disabled within three months in all government departments, companies and institutions.
The bench noted that it is an "alarming reality" that disabled persons are not getting jobs because of various social barriers forcing them to live life in poverty and negligence.
- Uttarakhand Speaker rejects disqualification of rebel BJP MLA
- US says Iraq's PM in ''strong position'' amid political unrest
- US Navy chief hopes for `normalization` with Russia in Baltic
- Turkey says Gaziantep attacker linked to IS
- US Presidential polls: Donald Trump looks to smother Ted Cruz as Indiana votes today