Provide number of homosexuals in India: SC to govt
New Delhi: Expressing displeasure for not
furnishing details of homosexuals` population, the Supreme Court on Thursday asked for all relevant records from the Centre
about LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) people,
including their number and the number of HIV-infected among
A bench of justices G S Singhvi and S J Mukhopadhaya said
the data which was put before the Delhi High Court has not
been placed here and directed the Centre to provide the entire
information on the next date of hearing.
The bench also pulled up the government and its officials
for not doing their "homework" in the case.
"You should have done your homework before coming to the
court" the bench told an official, appearing in the court.
Observing that it was stated in the high court in 2009
that eight per cent of homosexuals were HIV infected, the
bench queried about the latest figure on the LGBT population
and their numbers inflicted with the deadly infection.
The government, however, contended that there are 23.9
lakh people infected with HIV in the country.
The apex court is hearing petitions filed by anti-gay
rights activists and also by political, social and religious
organisations, which have opposed the high court verdict.
Senior BJP leader B P Singhal has challenged the high
court verdict in the Supreme Court saying such acts are
illegal, immoral and against ethos of Indian culture.
Religious organisations like All India Muslim Personal
Law Board, Utkal Christian Council and Apostolic Churches
Alliance too have also challenged the judgment.
The Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Right, Tamil
Nadu Muslim Munn Kazhgam, astrologer Suresh Kumar Kaushal and
yoga guru Ramdev too have opposed the verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you