PRP under pressure for a rethink on Telangana issue
Hyderabad: Along with TDP, K
Chiranjeevi-led Praja Rajyam Party today came under pressure
from within for a rethink on its stand on Telangana statehood
issue as the actor-turned-politician bought 15 days time from
his MLAs to come out with a clear stand.
Leaders from different districts of Telangana reached
the party headquarters here to express their displeasure in
the midst of speculation that he was going to announced the
party`s changed stand on bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh.
Presidents of PRP`s Medak, Nalgonda, Karimnagar,
Mahbubnagar, Warangal and Hyderabad districts drove to
Chiranjeevi`s residence for a meeting to discuss the issue.
PRP`s MLA from Telangana region A Maheswar Reddy too
joined the meeting and sought a clarification from Chiranjeevi
on reports that he was now favouring a unified state against
the party`s line for a Telangana.
Chiranjeevi reportedly told them that there was no
reversal of the party`s stand on Telangana and it still stood
by its commitment. "Don`t believe in rumours. Reports that I
have changed my stand are absolutely false," he assured them.
PRP and TDP had backed the creation of Telangana at
the all-party meeting convened by Chief Minister K Rosaiah but
in the wake of growing anti-Telangana protests shifted to a
"unified" Andhra Pradesh stand.
However, as MLAs from Andhra and Rayalaseema regions
too joined the meeting, Chiranjeevi said no decision has been
taken yet on the contentious Telangana issue.
"Give me 15 days time to come out with a clear stand,"
Maheswar Reddy quoted Chiranjeevi as saying.
PRP`s official spokesman Shravan Kumar told PTI at the
end of the meeting that there was immense pressure on
Chiranjeevi to support a unified state.
"With 15 MLAs from Andhra and Rayalaseema regions and
one from Telangana submitting their resignation to the
Assembly Speaker in support of a unified state, Chiranjeevi is
obviously under pressure. But he told us that he was not
yielding to any pressure," Shravan said.
TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu has already indicated
the party would go by the mood of the people on the
bifurcation issue. "The issue is now in the people’s court and
we have to respect the people`s verdict," he had said.
TDP has a strong base in Telangana with 39 MLAs but PRP
has only two lawmakers from the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested