Pt Nehru remembered on 123rd birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Wednesday paid tribute to the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, on his 123rd birth anniversary.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi were among the first to pay floral tribute to the late leader.
A series of functions are being organised across the country to mark the occasion.
The day is also observed as the “Children`s Day” in India as Pandit Nehru had great affection for children. They fondly called him “Chacha” Nehru.
Celebrating Children`s Day is about giving children the right to enjoy and grow into healthy and educated citizens of the country.
A pivotal figure in the Indian independence movement, Nehru was born on November 14, 1889 in Allahabad.
He was also a key figure in international politics in the post-war period, and was one of the founding figures of the non-aligned movement.
Nehru graduated from Cambridge University, and returned to India in 1912. Popularly referred to as Panditji, Nehru was also a writer, scholar and amateur historian. The son of the wealthy Indian barrister and politician Motilal Nehru, Nehru had become one of the youngest leaders of the Indian National Congress.
After independence, Nehru served as India`s first Prime Minister from August 1947 to May 1964.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets