Public Health care on sub-standard equipment?
New Delhi: Fundamental flaws in procurement
procedure and lack of standards in supply of medical equipment
for maternal and neo-natal care is resulting in entry of
"unsafe, non-standard equipment" into the market, the AIIMS has told the Central Information Commission.
The prestigious institute said high quality medical
equipment lose to cheaper alternatives during bidding process
resulting in accidents like babies getting killed in
short-circuits in incubators.
"There are no standards for such equipments and no
regulation barring entry of unsafe, non-standard equipment
into the market. Faulty equipment can end up burning itself
and the baby it holds. There are fundamental flaws in these
procurement procedures," Dr Vinod Paul, representing Director
AIIMS told the CIC during a hearing.
He said there was a Medical Devices Regulatory Authority
bill circulated in 2006, but there has not been much
movement in this regard.
Taking serious note of it, Information Commissioner
Shailesh Gandhi directed the Health Secretary to ensure that
purchase and maintenance details of medical equipment costing
over one lakh and neo-natal warmers and incubators, purchased
after April 1, 2007 should be posted on the Health Ministry
The case relates to a complaint filed by an RTI applicant
Anushree Jain who said Health Ministry should publish these
details on its website as per obligations of suo-moto
disclosure under the provisions of the Right to Information
During the hearing, Jain contended that there have been a
large number of cases where due to poor maintenance of
equipment used for neo-natal care infants had died due to
Hearing the arguments of both sides, Gandhi opined, "It
is accepted that there are widespread issues, putting up
information in the public domain would perhaps create a
pressure on the concerned authorities".
"The idea of the Commission being that the information
published would get the citizens at large to view the same and
inform the concerned superior authorities in case of any
mismanagement etc," Gandhi pointed out.
He ordered the Health Secretary to send a circular to all
state governments to make public on its website and individual
websites of respective health Institutes this category of
information which should be regularly updated on the 10th of
Gandhi directed the Health Secretary to comply with these
orders before May 10, 2012.
Earlier, another AIIMS representative Sidartha Satpathy
said the equipments manufactured in the United States of
America and the European Union generally conform to good
"However, there are only very few organisations in India
which are experienced in the sale and maintenance of such
equipment. That in India, any person can start distributing
medical equipments, as there is no law specifying standards,"
Satpathy argued that since AIIMS uses a large number of
patient care equipments and it will be very difficult to put
these on the website but later agreed that equipment used in
neo-natal care and those costing above one lakh can be placed
on the website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!