PUCL condemns killing of security personnel in Chhattisgarh
New Delhi: The People`s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) has condemned the killing of 15 security personnel and one civilian by Maoists in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh March 11.
In a statement released Wednesday, the human rights organisation regretted the loss of lives in the incident and said it "is part of a continuing and seemingly endless series of bloody and counter attacks by security forces and Maoists in the state".
Observing that under no circumstances can violence be justified, the PUCL said the unending spiral of violence is of utmost concern to it.
It said the only way out of the present context of "vicious violence" is for the government to initiate a process of unconditional ceasefire, which could end hostilities on both sides and create the ground for talks.
"We appeal to the Maoists also to agree to an unconditional ceasefire and engage in talks," it said.
"It is very important that adivasi groups like the Adivasi Mahasabha, Sarva Samaj and other representative organisations need to be included in the talks to end violence, apart from the two sides - the Maoists and the government," PUCL added.
Quoting studies by the Planning Commission -- which said the only solution to the issue is land distribution, implementation of the Forest Rights Act and acknowledgement of rights of the tribals, the PUCL said the best way to restore faith in democracy is by integrating human rights, equity and social justice considerations into all government policies, plans and programmes and abandon militaristic solution.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram