PUCL to submit memo for repealing sedition provisions: Sen
Bhubaneswar: Stating that governments use
sedition provisions to target people opposing it, rights`
activist Binayak Sen on Saturday said People`s Union for Civil
Liberties (PUCL) will submit a memorandum to Parliament with
10 lakh signatures, demanding abolition of the law.
"We are planning to submit the memorandum with
signature of one million people to Parliament in the winter
session," Sen said this while delivering the Loknath memorial
lecture held here in memory of noted communist leader Loknath
Stating that several countries including Britain have
already abolished the law, he said it was very easy for state
governments to frame people opposing it with sedition.
Sen also drew attention to the demand for
universalising the public distribution system.
"We want poor people to get all food items including
rice, dal, oil and vegetable at subsidised prices," he said.
He said people of India were facing acute nutrition
problem as they did not get adequate food.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan