Pune blast: 2 foreigners among 9 killed; JuD role not ruled out
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, February 15, 2010, 09:19
  
Zeenews Bureau

Pune/Mumbai/New Delhi: The Govt on Sunday night did not rule out the involvement of Pak-based Jamaat-ul-Dawah (JUD) behind the Pune terror attack, days after the front of terror group LeT spoke of the western city being a target.

As Investigators pieced together clues to unravel the identity of those behind last night's attack on German Bakery, the possibility of execution of terror plans by LeT at the places recced by Pakistani-American David Headley, a terror suspect, currently in US custody in connection with 26/11 is also being looked into.

Two foreigners--Italian woman and an Iranian male student--were among the nine persons killed in the first strike since the Mumbai carnage on November 26, 2008.

No arrests have been made in the attack in which officials said the deadly RDX and Ammonium Nitrate were suspected to have been used.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reviewed the situation with Home Minister P Chidambaram in New Delhi following the bomb blast at German Bakery yesterday and directed the Centre and the Maharashtra government to take coordinated and effective action to speedily investigate the matter. Chidambaram ruled out any intelligence failure in the attack.

PC visits site, hold meet in Delhi

Chidambaram visited the site of the attack after which he dismissed any "intelligence failure" and said the terrorists have hit a "soft target". Maharasahtra's Anti Terrorism Squad formed four investigating teams to probe the Pune blast.

He held a high-level meeting in Delhi to review the security situation following which a red alert was sounded in cities like Kanpur, Indore and the national capital.

The meeting also analysed the speech made by Hafiz Abdur Rahman Makki, leader of terror outfit amalgam Jamaat-ul-Dawah, at the Kashmir Solidarity Day conference held in Pakistan -occupied-Kashmir on February 4 in which he had mentioned about attacks on Indian cities including Pune.

Chidambaram said India must be allowed to have a detailed interrogation of Headley, a Pakistani-American who is is in US custody for suspected involvement in Mumbai terror attack.

5 women among blast victims

Pune: Confirming deaths of nine persons in the blast, Pune Police Commissioner Satya Pal Singh said there were five women among the victims and put the number of injured at 45.

At the blast site Singh told reporters that a team of forensic experts was investigating the nature of explosive devise used in the blast. Asked whether it was a terror attack, Singh said, "I cannot confirm this aspect before getting opinion of the investigating team".

He appealed to the people not to panic and maintain peace, adding that Police were checking all entry and exit points around the city, he added.

When asked if IM was involved, Pune Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said, "We can't say anything right now." Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba has previously helped IM carry out some of the terror attacks in India.

Police obtain CCTV footage

Maharashtra police on Sunday said it has obtained the CCTV footage of the frontal area of the German bakery at the time of the blast, which killed nine persons, including two foreign nationals, and injured 60.

Close Circuit Television (CCTV) of a five star hotel 'O' had captured frontal open area visuals of German bakery during the blast and Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) has taken the possession of the footage, said Inspector General (Law & Order) Rashmi Shukla.

"The bakery has no CCTVs. The hotel, which has CCTVs, is located opposite the bakery. The ATS is now analysing the footage," she said but refused to reveal the length and contents of the footage.

Under the supervision of state police chief A N Roy and state terrorism squad chief K P Raghuvanshi, four separate ATS teams headed by DIG (ATS) Ravindra Kadam have been formed to speed up the probe.

"These teams have been formed to look into different aspects of the investigation," she said.

She said all the deceased have been identified. They are Sayyed Abdul Gani(26) from Iran, Nadia Macerina(37)from Italy, Ankik Dhar(24), Anandi Dhar(19) and Shilpa Goenka(23) of Kolkata, T Sundari(22) of Bangalore, Bineeta Gadani of Mumbai, Shankar Pansare (40) and Gokul N of Pune.

Among the 60 injured, 12 are foreigners --- five from Iran, two from Nepal, one each from Taiwan, Germany and Yemen and two from Sudan.

20 have been discharged while the rest are undergoing treatment at different hospitals in Pune including Jehangir, Ruby and Sasson.

Forensic report to establish the nature of explosives used in the blast was awaited, Shukla said, adding that policemen have been asked to remain alert and security at vital installations, religious places, commercial and industrial establishments has been beefed up.

To a query, Shukla denied that there were leads to indicate that the blast was targeted at foreigners.

She said the accused in the blast case were booked under relevant sections of the IPC, Indian Explosive Act, Arms Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act in Bund garden police station in Pune.


First Published: Monday, February 15, 2010, 09:19


comments powered by Disqus