Pune blast: Arrested IM operatives seek action against cops
New Delhi: Two suspected Indian Mujahideen (IM) operatives allegedly involved in the August 1 Pune blast case on Wednseday sought action against Delhi Police for not maintaining proper record of the case.
Irfan Mustafa Langda and Feroze Hamza, arrested by Delhi Police`s Special Cell for conspiring to carry out blasts across India, particularly Delhi, during festive period, told a court here that the police is not maintaining proper records of the case comprising case diaries and other documents.
Arguing before the court of additional sessions judge Kaveri Baweja, Irfan`s counsel Mehmood Pracha submitted that "the Punjab Police rules, High Court rules and other laws regarding maintaining of police diaries in a prescribed manner have been flouted with impunity by the Delhi Police which will have the effect of vitiating the entire investigation and the trial."
Pracha made the submissions after the court, which on his request, asked police to produce the case diary which, as against the prescribed manner, was not paginated, bound and signed by a judge.
Similar issue was raised by the counsel for Irfan, who was yesterday remanded in judicial custody till November 13.
Meanwhile, the court also sent co-accused Feroze to judicial custody after the police said he was not required for further custodial interrogation.
The court also kept for tomorrow the hearing of Mumbai ATS` plea for custody of Asad Khan, Imran Khan, Irfan and Feroze, all currently in judicial custody, saying clarification is required on whether it has the jurisdiction to decide the plea.
The Mumbai ATS had sought their custody for interrogating them in the August 1 Pune blast case.
Asad, Imran and Feroze were arrested by the Delhi Police for planning strikes in the capital during Dussehra and Diwali. Police claims that preliminary inquiries have revealed that they were involved in the Pune blast.
Following their custodial interrogation, the police arrested Irfan from Jaipur and another IM member Maqbool, from a railway station in Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened