Pune blast case hit by court jurisdiction issue
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday refused to extend the judicial custody of one of the accused in last year`s Pune blast case or take cognisance of the charge sheet citing lack of jurisdiction.
Prior to the jurisdiction issue, the case was mired over the question of magistrate`s power to deal with cases under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (Central) Vidya Prakash refused to extend the judicial custody of Sayeed Maqbool, one of the five suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorists arrested for the August 1 Pune blasts, saying no part of the offence was committed within his jurisdiction and sent it to Saket courts.
In the evening, Maqbool was produced before CMM Manoj Kumar at Saket court but he also refused to extend his custody citing lack of requisite record including the FIR before him.
Maqbool was then taken by the police to Tihar and the maater is likely to be taken up on April 10 at Saket court.
Earlier in the day, CMM Prakash also refused to take cognizance of the charge sheet filed against Maqbool and co-accused Asad Khan, Imran Khan, Sayed Feroz and Langde Irfan Mustafa in January.
"Since offences are alleged to have been committed within territorial jurisdiction of South East district, this court does not have jurisdiction to entertain the case and cognizance had not yet been taken," CMM Prakash said, adding after posting of 11 CMMs in 11 districts, he does not have the power to deal with the case.
The court was not impressed with the submission made by the prosecution that under provisions of Criminal Procedure Code, there was no bar on it to take cognizance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'