Pune blast: RDX use confirmed, toll mounts to 10

Last Updated: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 14:52

Zeenews Bureau

Pune: On a day when two suspects were detained in connection with Saturday’s deadly blast at a popular bakery in Pune, the city Police Commissioner confirmed the use of RDX in the explosion.

Addressing a press conference her on Tuesday, Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said RDX, Ammonium Nitrate and Hydrocarban Oil were used to carry out the blast. He however refused to confirm if the bomb was remote-controlled, as being suspected.

When asked by reporters about two suspects being detained, the Police Commissioner said he was not aware of it, and added that many people being questioned in connection with the case.

“I’m neither denying nor confirming this,” he said.

Singh also informed that the toll in the blast has gone up to 10, after Abhishek Saxena, a 24-year old student from Lucknow, succumbed to his injuries at a local hospital.

In response to another question, Singh said the investigators have found important clues in the CCTV footage taken from the hotel located opposite to the blast-hit German Bakery.

Suspects held

Earlier in the day, it emerged that investigators probing the Pune blast have detained two suspects from Kudalwadi and Janwadi on the outskirts of the city.

They were picked up after sleuths probing the case identified conversations between suspected terrorists. It is also believed that these two men are the same who were spotted in the CCTV footage. The footage showed the two men entering the bakery with a bag.

The explosives used to trigger the Pune blast were most likely kept in a bag, believe investigators.

A TV report also claimed that two more people have been detained in Aurangabad.

Foreign hand?

The Centre has meanwhile not ruled out the hand of a foreign force in the Pune blast. Union Home Secretary GK Pillai said yesterday that the government was waiting for the investigation report which was in its initial stages. He said that terror activities against India were planned in Pakistan but he would not jump the gun in this attack till there was some critical evidence.

The government believes that local terror group Indian Mujahideen could have been instigated by the LeT or JuD in Karachi as some arrested operatives had said they were shown videos made by David C Headley -- an American terror suspect who is wanted by India in the 26/11 terror attacks case and is currently under US custody -- including clips of the Osho Ashram in Pune.

Pillai said this was a part of the notorious ‘Karachi Project’ which was aimed at attacking India.



First Published: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 14:52

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus