Pune blast victim`s father hails death penalty to Baig
Ambala: Father of the 23-year-old girl, killed in the German bakery blast case, on Thursday hailed the death penalty awarded to Mirza Himayat Baig, the lone convicted accused in the case, by a Pune Sessions Court.
Hardeyesh Jindal, the father of Aditi while hailing the verdict, said "it is the victory of humanity and justice".
"The families of blast victims have got a big relief. I will soon visit Pune and will contact all the families of the victims to launch a joint protest so that the remaining accused in the case are brought to book at the earliest," Jindal told reporters here.
Jindal, who had been demanding capital punishment for Baig, said that he had committed an "inhuman act" in which 17 innocent people were killed.
He sat on a fast here yesterday and had said if Baig was not awarded death penalty, he would start an indefinite fast at Pune along with the relatives of other 16 victims of the blast.
However, after the court`s verdict today, he ended his fast by drinking a glass of juice offered by an official of the district administration.
Aditi, who was undergoing a fashion designing course in Pune, was present outside the German Bakery when the blast occurred.
The victim sustained 80 per cent burn injuries and died in a hospital in Pune on February 26, 2010.
On April 15, Baig was convicted by a sessions court for murder, criminal conspiracy and other charges, more than three years after a powerful explosion rocked the popular eatery, killing 17 and wounding 64, in the first terror attack in Pune.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know