Pune blasts: Wrist watches used, IM prime suspect
Pune/New Delhi: Wrist watches were used to trigger the explosives in the Pune coordinated serial blasts as evidence gathered by investigators on Thursday appeared to point to the involvement of banned home grown terror group Indian Mujahideen (IM).
Government sources in New Delhi said that IM is one of the prime suspects.
The Improved Explosive Devices(IEDs) used in the four low intensity blasts last night were designed in a special manner which needed a serious probe, they said.
Official sources said the manner in which locally made watches were used as a timer to complete the bomb circuit to trigger battery-operated detonators kept on three newly-bought bicycles, two dustbins and a polythene bag was similar to the technique adopted by IM, which has links with terror groups in Pakistan.
Joint Commissioner of Pune City Police Sanjiv Singhal said 33-year-old Dayanand Patil, the lone person injured in the blast near Bal Gandharva theatre, was being `interrogated`. He also said there has been no arrest or detention so far.
Patil`s wife Satyakala and some bicycle shop owners in the city`s Kasaba peth area were also questioned as part of the investigation. Police said Patil was not being treated as a suspect as of now but was being questioned by police as to how the explosives found its way into his carry bag.
Official sources said investigators found Patil`s certain activities suspicious and decided to interrogate him properly and have a thorough background check of him.
On possible Naxal links Union Home Secretary R K Singh said, "We don`t have any basis to say the possibility of Maoists involvement"
As investigators pieced together evidence, the sources said ammonium nitrate was apparently used to make the explosives with Neogel as a binding agent.
"A box like object was used to plant the bombs which were triggered with detonators, 9 volt battery cells and timer," Singhal said, adding that a white substance too had been found and sent to forensic labs for investigations and reports were awaited.
The explosions in the space of less than one hour in a one-km radius rocked the crowded Jangli Maharaj (JM) road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you