Pune blasts: Wrist watches used, IM prime suspect
Pune/New Delhi: Wrist watches were used to trigger the explosives in the Pune coordinated serial blasts as evidence gathered by investigators on Thursday appeared to point to the involvement of banned home grown terror group Indian Mujahideen (IM).
Government sources in New Delhi said that IM is one of the prime suspects.
The Improved Explosive Devices(IEDs) used in the four low intensity blasts last night were designed in a special manner which needed a serious probe, they said.
Official sources said the manner in which locally made watches were used as a timer to complete the bomb circuit to trigger battery-operated detonators kept on three newly-bought bicycles, two dustbins and a polythene bag was similar to the technique adopted by IM, which has links with terror groups in Pakistan.
Joint Commissioner of Pune City Police Sanjiv Singhal said 33-year-old Dayanand Patil, the lone person injured in the blast near Bal Gandharva theatre, was being `interrogated`. He also said there has been no arrest or detention so far.
Patil`s wife Satyakala and some bicycle shop owners in the city`s Kasaba peth area were also questioned as part of the investigation. Police said Patil was not being treated as a suspect as of now but was being questioned by police as to how the explosives found its way into his carry bag.
Official sources said investigators found Patil`s certain activities suspicious and decided to interrogate him properly and have a thorough background check of him.
On possible Naxal links Union Home Secretary R K Singh said, "We don`t have any basis to say the possibility of Maoists involvement"
As investigators pieced together evidence, the sources said ammonium nitrate was apparently used to make the explosives with Neogel as a binding agent.
"A box like object was used to plant the bombs which were triggered with detonators, 9 volt battery cells and timer," Singhal said, adding that a white substance too had been found and sent to forensic labs for investigations and reports were awaited.
The explosions in the space of less than one hour in a one-km radius rocked the crowded Jangli Maharaj (JM) road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?