Pune engineer held in EVM theft case
Mumbai: A Pune-based engineer and activist
has been arrested by the city police in connection with a
Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) theft case.
Mukund Lagoo, a civil engineer and a human rights
activist, was arrested o Tuesday after two days of questioning.
He has been accused of procuring the machine and carrying it
to Hyderabad where he handed it over to main arrested accused
Hari Prasad, police said Wednesday.
Hyderabad-based researcher Hari Prasad was arrested last
month for his alleged role in the EVM theft case. He was later
let out on bail.
Prasad was apprehended after he demonstrated on a news
channel on how to tamper an EVM. He had told the police that
he had been given the machine by a few social activists from
According to investigations, Lagoo had contacted Hari
Prasad and met him before the theft of the EVM. After a few
days he handed over the machine to Prasad in Hyderabad, a
police official said.
"However, we are yet to ascertain if it was Lagoo who had
stolen the machine from the Collector`s office here," he said.
The activist was produced yesterday before a local court,
which remanded him to police custody till September 22.
His lawyer Niranjan Mundargi said the police arrested him
without informing his relatives or lawyers. "He was just
called for questioning."
The police has so far recorded the statement of over 20
social activists in the case including a Congress party member
Dinesh Bachav from Nashik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla