Pune engineer held in EVM theft case
Mumbai: A Pune-based engineer and activist
has been arrested by the city police in connection with a
Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) theft case.
Mukund Lagoo, a civil engineer and a human rights
activist, was arrested o Tuesday after two days of questioning.
He has been accused of procuring the machine and carrying it
to Hyderabad where he handed it over to main arrested accused
Hari Prasad, police said Wednesday.
Hyderabad-based researcher Hari Prasad was arrested last
month for his alleged role in the EVM theft case. He was later
let out on bail.
Prasad was apprehended after he demonstrated on a news
channel on how to tamper an EVM. He had told the police that
he had been given the machine by a few social activists from
According to investigations, Lagoo had contacted Hari
Prasad and met him before the theft of the EVM. After a few
days he handed over the machine to Prasad in Hyderabad, a
police official said.
"However, we are yet to ascertain if it was Lagoo who had
stolen the machine from the Collector`s office here," he said.
The activist was produced yesterday before a local court,
which remanded him to police custody till September 22.
His lawyer Niranjan Mundargi said the police arrested him
without informing his relatives or lawyers. "He was just
called for questioning."
The police has so far recorded the statement of over 20
social activists in the case including a Congress party member
Dinesh Bachav from Nashik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre