Pune village landslide: 41 bodies pulled out, Rajnath assures Centre`s help
Zee Media Bureau
Pune: With over 160 feared trapped under debris after a landslide hit Malin village of Pune district, the Maharashtra state government has mobilised all its resources in search and rescue operations.
At least 41 people are now confirmed dead in the tragedy amid fears that the toll may go up substantially.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh visited the spot on Thursday to take stock of the situation.
Singh said that only after a detailed probe will the cause of the tragedy be known, while also assuring full central assistance in rescue and relief work.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar may also head to the village today.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed anguish over the tragedy.
Situated around 120 kilometres from Pune city, Malin was once a bustling village of about 50 homes. Now barely six structures, including the village panchayat office, exist, rest of the village was wiped off the map.
Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar besides cabinet colleagues Harshvardhan Patil and Madhukarro Pichad visited the accident spot yesterday.
A 300-strong team comprising National Disaster Response Force, state rescue force, police, villagers and others braved inclement weather, searching for people trapped under stones, boulders and sticky mud.
Meanwhile, the funeral of those who died in the landslide has started taking place. The cremation is happening near the site of the incident and help of the local people is being taken for the same.
As per the police, the accident occurred in the village located in Ambegaon taluka of Pune district at about 5 am, as heavy downpour loosened earth and dislodged rocks and boulders.
However. eyewitnesses claimed the landslide may have occurred at about 7 am as a driver of a state transport bus passing through failed to find the village which was his regular service stop.
Heavy rain, which lashed the picturesque region over the past four days, continued to hamper relief operations whole day and prevented rescuers from approaching the site, as flowing water kept shifting the mud.
As a precautionary measure, the district administration has ordered evacuation of about half-a-dozen other villages in the hilly area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in