Punjab CM meets PM, urges re-probe into 1984 anti-Sikh riots
New Delhi: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday to ask for the formation of a special investigation team under the supervision of the Supreme Court to re-examine the 1984 Sikh riots case.
After meeting the Prime Minister in Parliament, Badal said he had pressed the demand for stringent action against the perpetrators of the 1984 riots.
Continuing further Badal said, "Justice is yet to be delivered in this case. We want a special investigation team to be formed under the supervision of Supreme Court to re-examine the case. There are many police reports and chargesheets that are to be filed and the culprits are yet to be booked. So we want the law to get hold of them."
A Delhi court on April 30 acquitted Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and convicted five other accused of charges including rioting and murder. The pronouncement of the judgment reportedly caused huge uproar in the court with an aggrieved Sikh in the court hall hurling a shoe at the judge who acquitted Kumar. Since then members of the Sikh community have been protesting in New Delhi, demanding the case be transferred to the high court. They protested outside the residence of Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and the parliament.
The five convicted persons in the riots case were taken into police custody. The 1984 anti-Sikh riots, which claimed the lives of almost 3000 Sikhs, were triggered after the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984 by two of her Sikh bodyguards. They shot her dead as revenge against the Operation Blue Star conducted at their holy shrine in Amritsar to flush out militants led by Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video