Punjab Polls: Cong to give youth more ticket
New Delhi: Some of the sitting MLAs and
former MLAs may not get renomination for contesting the coming
Punjab Assembly polls likely to be held in February next year.
An indication to this effect was given by former Punjab
Chief Minister and senior Congress leader Captain Amarinder
He said that the Congress will give preference to
youth and women as desired by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and
party general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
"The party will give more tickets to youth and women as
desired by Soniaji and Rahulji," he said.
Singh, however, said the party was facing difficulty in
finding competent women in some rural constituencies to fight
He claimed that the Congress will get two-third majority
in the elections.
"We will definitely form the next government in Punjab.
The Congress will get more than 70 seats," he said.
Election to the 117-member Punjab Assembly is expected to
be held early next year.
Singh said corruption will be the "principal" issue in
the elections and the Congress will "expose the misrule of the
Badals" during the campaigns.
He accused Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and
his son Sukhbir of indulging in massive corruption and buying
properties through their "ill gotten money".
The former Punjab Chief Minister alleged that Badal
family has amassed crores of rupess through corruption during
their five year rule and "destroyed" the state as no
development has taken place.
He asked the Badals not to display "muscle power" during
the polls else the Congress would have to deal with them "in a
language which they understand".
The former Chief Minister said the Congress would prefer
a single phase election in Punjab for its fairness and urged
the Election Commission to conduct the polling in one day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB
- What a pervert! Bijnor imam caught on camera during rape – Watch shocking video
- Defender Cedric Soares renews contract with Southampton until 2020
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars
- Expect 8% GDP growth in FY17 on back of good monsoon: Shaktikanta Das