Punjab town cordoned off after discovery of grenades
Chandigarh: The police on Sunday cordoned off Zirakpur town of Punjab`s Mohali district and conducted an extensive search after two grenades were found late on Saturday.
Nabha village in Zirakpur where the grenades were found is barely 1.5 km from the Indian Air Force station. IAF officials also visited the spot to appraise themselves of the situation.
"We have cordoned off the entire area (where the grenades were found) and our special teams are searching the vicinity to gather vital clues in connection with the discovery. We could not search the area properly due to darkness yesterday (Saturday)," Derabassi Deputy Superintendent of Police JS Khaira said.
"We also cannot deny the possibility of recovery of more grenades in the search operation. So far, we have not disposed off the grenades. We would take the help of Army personnel to ascertain their contents as we do not possess the right expertise required for this," he said.
Zirakpur town is 10 km from state capital Chandigarh.
Meanwhile, security was also beefed up in the neighbouring Chandigarh city following the discovery of grenades.
"We have alerted our patrolling teams and personnel deployed at all checkposts to increase their vigil and to keep an eye on anti-social elements. We have made adequate security arrangements for the upcoming Republic Day celebrations," a senior Chandigarh police officer said.
A bomb was discovered Monday outside a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) bottling plant in Patiala district, around 50 km from Chandigarh, and was defused by the bomb disposal squad of Punjab Armed Police (PAP).
A Punjab Police official said anti-social elements might be planning to plant bombs at public places ahead of Republic Day January 26.
"We cannot ignore this incident. We have also got inputs from our intelligence teams that there is threat of a terrorist attack in Punjab. We are taking this chance recovery of grenades very seriously," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter