Punjab town cordoned off after discovery of grenades
Chandigarh: The police on Sunday cordoned off Zirakpur town of Punjab`s Mohali district and conducted an extensive search after two grenades were found late on Saturday.
Nabha village in Zirakpur where the grenades were found is barely 1.5 km from the Indian Air Force station. IAF officials also visited the spot to appraise themselves of the situation.
"We have cordoned off the entire area (where the grenades were found) and our special teams are searching the vicinity to gather vital clues in connection with the discovery. We could not search the area properly due to darkness yesterday (Saturday)," Derabassi Deputy Superintendent of Police JS Khaira said.
"We also cannot deny the possibility of recovery of more grenades in the search operation. So far, we have not disposed off the grenades. We would take the help of Army personnel to ascertain their contents as we do not possess the right expertise required for this," he said.
Zirakpur town is 10 km from state capital Chandigarh.
Meanwhile, security was also beefed up in the neighbouring Chandigarh city following the discovery of grenades.
"We have alerted our patrolling teams and personnel deployed at all checkposts to increase their vigil and to keep an eye on anti-social elements. We have made adequate security arrangements for the upcoming Republic Day celebrations," a senior Chandigarh police officer said.
A bomb was discovered Monday outside a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) bottling plant in Patiala district, around 50 km from Chandigarh, and was defused by the bomb disposal squad of Punjab Armed Police (PAP).
A Punjab Police official said anti-social elements might be planning to plant bombs at public places ahead of Republic Day January 26.
"We cannot ignore this incident. We have also got inputs from our intelligence teams that there is threat of a terrorist attack in Punjab. We are taking this chance recovery of grenades very seriously," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon