Punjab town cordoned off after discovery of grenades
Chandigarh: The police on Sunday cordoned off Zirakpur town of Punjab`s Mohali district and conducted an extensive search after two grenades were found late on Saturday.
Nabha village in Zirakpur where the grenades were found is barely 1.5 km from the Indian Air Force station. IAF officials also visited the spot to appraise themselves of the situation.
"We have cordoned off the entire area (where the grenades were found) and our special teams are searching the vicinity to gather vital clues in connection with the discovery. We could not search the area properly due to darkness yesterday (Saturday)," Derabassi Deputy Superintendent of Police JS Khaira said.
"We also cannot deny the possibility of recovery of more grenades in the search operation. So far, we have not disposed off the grenades. We would take the help of Army personnel to ascertain their contents as we do not possess the right expertise required for this," he said.
Zirakpur town is 10 km from state capital Chandigarh.
Meanwhile, security was also beefed up in the neighbouring Chandigarh city following the discovery of grenades.
"We have alerted our patrolling teams and personnel deployed at all checkposts to increase their vigil and to keep an eye on anti-social elements. We have made adequate security arrangements for the upcoming Republic Day celebrations," a senior Chandigarh police officer said.
A bomb was discovered Monday outside a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) bottling plant in Patiala district, around 50 km from Chandigarh, and was defused by the bomb disposal squad of Punjab Armed Police (PAP).
A Punjab Police official said anti-social elements might be planning to plant bombs at public places ahead of Republic Day January 26.
"We cannot ignore this incident. We have also got inputs from our intelligence teams that there is threat of a terrorist attack in Punjab. We are taking this chance recovery of grenades very seriously," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan
- North Korea leader says missile test `greatest success`
- Curfew, restrictions continue for 48th day in Kashmir