Purchase of quality materials for mid-day meal ordered
Patna: Jolted by the death of 23 children in a midday meal tragedy at Chhapra, the Bihar government has made it compulsory for schools to purchase quality food items so that students get proper meals.
According to new guidelines, every school has to purchase mustard and vegetable oil bearing agmark and other items bearing ISI mark, Director of Bihar Midday meal scheme R Lakshmanan said on Sunday.
The purchase details were required to be entered daily in the register which would be checked by officials visiting the schools frequently for inspection, he said.
Lakshamanan said every school where the scheme is being implemented has to put up on the notice board details of foodgrains purchased and conversion cost every day for open scrutiny.
The new norms have been laid down in view of complaints of purchase of sub standard raw materials for preparation of midday meals in the state`s schools.
Midday meal, flagship nutritional programme of the Union government, has been in force in 70,260 schools of Bihar covering 1.30 crore students and the Chhapra tragedy has brought the scheme under strict scrutiny.
It came to light that oil used for preparation of soya bean vegetable as part of midday meal programme in Dharmasati Gandaman primary school in Mashrakh on the fateful day on July 16 was kept in a dirty bottle that did not carry the name of the manufacturing company.
The government defence was that since the scheme is so enormous it is not possible to make any central purchase of food items and hence school principals had been authorised to purchase items. Many of them, including Meena Devi, principal of Gandaman village school might have taken advantage of the privilege and purchased substandard items for the programme.
Lakshamana said the principal secretary in education department Amarjeet Sinha and other officials, including he himself, have been making frequent trips to schools to ensure that standard midday meals are served to students as per the guidelines.
The department has told the schools that they should reject lifting substandard foodgrains from Food Corporation of India (FCI) godowns.
He said preparation of a booklet containing details of first aid measures to be initiated in the event like that at Dharmasati Gandaman school is under preparation with experts` help and would soon be made available to school principals.
Medical experts had said after the Chhapra midday meal tragedy that ailing students should have been given salted water for immediate relief but it was not known to the school authorities and others.
The department has also decided to paint in the schools elementary informations and actions that need to be taken immediately in such an event, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'