Puri seer says education system has turned man into machine
Bhubaneswar: The country`s education system, which was influenced by the theories of Thomas Macauley, has led to fragmentation of families and is gradually turning man into a machine, the Shankaracharya of Puri, Swami Nischalananda Saraswati has said.
"The present education system does not contain 95 per cent of the elements needed to make life meaningful and man`s soul is neglected," the Puri seer said while interacting with students at a private university here on Saturday.
"Man has indeed become a machine which only feeds itself and procreates. The purpose of life has gone haywire. The whole thing is not leading us to development but destruction," he said.
Criticising destruction of forests and exhaustion of mineral resources, he said "we have just seen in Uttarakhand what nature can do if we continue to tinker with it."
Replying to a question on the need for women`s empowerment, he said women must be protected as the whole culture is dependent on them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj