Puri Shankaracharya supports Ramdev`s eviction
New Delhi: Supporting the government`s action against Ramdev, Puri Shankaracharya Adhokshajanand Dev on Sunday blamed the yoga guru for all the trouble and said he should give up the saffron robe.
"Ramdev is responsible for all the disturbances. He hid
the truth from his followers (about the deal struck with the
government). He should apologise to them...He was misusing the
saffron cloth for some years now. What happened (forceful
eviction from New Delhi) is fine. He should not wear the
saffron robe," he said.
He also accused Ramdev of having commercial interests in
mind and said the yoga guru resorted to actions which were
against the basic tenets of a saint.
"People who become gurus should give up commercial
activities...Gurus and saints lead a life of renunciation and
work for the welfare of others. Ramdev had commercial
interests in mind and joined hands with forces fomenting
trouble in the country. Therefore he should not be counted in
the category of gurus," the seer told reporters here after
meeting HRD Minister Kapil Sibal.
He also rubbished Opposition`s criticism against the
police action, saying, "People who are criticising the police
action are themselves corrupt and responsible for mass murder.
Narendra Modi (Gujarat Chief Minister) like people must be
saying this. They should first look into their own deeds."
Social activist Swami Agnivesh had also met Sibal
yesterday and had condemned the government`s action against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez