Purulia case: India to scale down diplomatic ties with Denmark
New Delhi: India has decided to scale down its diplomatic ties with Denmark after that country`s refusal to appeal in their Supreme Court against a decision of its lower court rejecting the extradition of Purulia arms drop case accused Kim Davy.
Upset over Copenhagen`s refusal to act on New Delhi`s consistent request to appeal in their apex court to facilitate Davy`s extradition to India, government has issued a circular directed all senior officials not to meet or entertain any Danish diplomat posted in India.
"It is against all civilised norms to harbour a terrorist. Despite being a signatory to many UN conventions, Denmark refused to act against the prime accused in the Purulia arms drop case," a senior government official said.
Denmark even did not pay any heed to a special request of External Affairs Minister S M Krishna who wrote to his Danish counterpart requesting to appeal in their Supreme Court against the lower court order rejecting Davy`s extradition.
India has failed to understand the reason behind the stubborn attitude of Denmark despite its promise to put Davy in a special jail if extradited.
Earlier, Copenhagen cited poor living conditions in Indian jails for their reluctance to extradite Davy to India.
"It smacks of racism," the official said.
Interestingly, citing Denmark laws, three law firms, hired by India to pursue its case against Davy, have suggested that there are enough provisions to appeal in the Supreme Court against the lower court order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video