Purulia case: India to scale down diplomatic ties with Denmark
New Delhi: India has decided to scale down its diplomatic ties with Denmark after that country`s refusal to appeal in their Supreme Court against a decision of its lower court rejecting the extradition of Purulia arms drop case accused Kim Davy.
Upset over Copenhagen`s refusal to act on New Delhi`s consistent request to appeal in their apex court to facilitate Davy`s extradition to India, government has issued a circular directed all senior officials not to meet or entertain any Danish diplomat posted in India.
"It is against all civilised norms to harbour a terrorist. Despite being a signatory to many UN conventions, Denmark refused to act against the prime accused in the Purulia arms drop case," a senior government official said.
Denmark even did not pay any heed to a special request of External Affairs Minister S M Krishna who wrote to his Danish counterpart requesting to appeal in their Supreme Court against the lower court order rejecting Davy`s extradition.
India has failed to understand the reason behind the stubborn attitude of Denmark despite its promise to put Davy in a special jail if extradited.
Earlier, Copenhagen cited poor living conditions in Indian jails for their reluctance to extradite Davy to India.
"It smacks of racism," the official said.
Interestingly, citing Denmark laws, three law firms, hired by India to pursue its case against Davy, have suggested that there are enough provisions to appeal in the Supreme Court against the lower court order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city