Purulia: CBI in Copenhagen with expired warrant
New Delhi: A day after Union Home Minister P Chidambaram took the responsibility for the mistake in the most-wanted terror list given to Pakistan, reports on Thursday claimed another major goof-up by investigating agencies in Purulia arms drop case.
According to reports published by a leading daily, the CBI team went to Copenhagen seeking extradition of main accused in the Purulia arms drop case Kim Davy`s with an expired warrant.
The CBI team was unaware that the warrant, which had been issued by the Kolkata court in October 2010, had expired on the January 3. It was pointed to them by Davy`s lawyer.
An embarrassed CBI then claimed, “it was an oversight.” The CBI has now filed a petition in the court to get the warrant`s validity extended till the August 20.
Amidst accusations of playing a role in Purulia arms drop case, the government had earlier decided to send a two-member team comprising a CBI officer and a lawyer to Denmark seeking expedition of Kim Davy.
The CBI team comprising a CBI officer and a lawyer left for Denmark on May 16.
Davy, a prime accused in the Purulia arms drop case, had claimed to a private TV channel that the then PV Narasimha Rao government had plotted the operation to destabilise the West Bengal government by arming locals in the state.
He had also claimed that India`s external intelligence agency Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) planned the operation with the help of its British counterpart MI-5 on the Centre`s directions.
The Center had vehemently denied Davy`s claim, calling it "far-fetched" and a "tactic to complicate" the process of his extradition from Denmark.
The Denmark government wants India to ensure that Davy would not be given death sentence if he is extradited, which was agreed to.
The CBI had also claimed that it has "clinching" evidence against mastermind Kim Davy`s alleged "act of terror" and is making all efforts to bring him to India to face trial in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested