Put in place Sachar report or be ready to go: Mulayam to UPA
Lucknow: Handing a warning to the UPA, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav on Saturday said the Centre should immediately implement the Sachar Committee recommendations for the welfare of Muslims, failing which it will have to go out of power.
"Either the recommendations of the Sachar Committee should be implemented, or the Congress (led) government at the Centre will have to go," Mulayam said at a function attended by minorities here.
The Rajinder Sachar Committee was appointed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for preparing a report on the social, economic and educational status of Muslims and was tabled in Parliament in 2006.
Alleging that the recommendations of the committee like quota for Muslims have been put on back-burner, Mulayam blamed Congress for the present state of Muslims in the country.
He said the SP always worked for promotion of Urdu language and Madarsas, and is making arrangements to create educational infrastructure in minority-dominated areas.
The SP leader also asked the BJP to change its approach towards the minority community and rethink over its stand on issues like Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi and Article 370.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda