Putin arrives; nuke, Gorshkov pacts on table
New Delhi: Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin arrived here Thursday night on a 22-hour visit during which India and Russia are to sign over a dozen agreements, including an umbrella civil nuclear pact.
Putin was accompanied by a high-powered delegation comprising senior ministers and senior officials, including Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov, Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Sobyanin, Minister for Economic Development Elvira Nabiullina and Minister of Energy Sergei Shmatko.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will Friday evening holds talks with Putin, who is seen here as a close friend of India and a co-architect of India-Russia strategic partnership.
The two sides are expected to sign over a dozen pacts, including an umbrella inter-governmental civil nuclear agreement and another accord freezing the price of the refurbished aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov as well as a clutch of defence deals and a visa pact, sources said.
Setting a positive tone for Friday`s talks, India`s cabinet committee on security (CCS) cleared the $2.35 billion fresh price for the Admiral Gorshkov. The long-delayed renegotiated pact for the carrier, renamed INS Vikramaditya, will be among the defence deals worth $4 billion that are expected to be finalised during Putin`s visit.
Pacts on setting up joint pharmaceutical ventures and visa simplification are also expected to be signed during the visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof