Putin to visit India, two countries to sign defence deals
Moscow: Russian Prime Minister Vladimir
Putin will arrive in New Delhi tomorrow on a two-day visit
during which the two sides are likely to conclude the long-
delayed agreement on aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov and
sign defence deals worth USD 4 billion.
Coming three months after Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh`s visit to Russia in December 2009, Putin`s India trip
has a wider agenda like taking bilateral technological
and energy cooperation to a new level.
Diplomatic sources said the two countries are keen on
developing bilateral interaction in hi-technology as Russia
has launched a major plan for its innovative modernisation.
Besides the deals worth USD 4 billion, including the
final delivery agreement for Admiral Gorshkov, the two sides
will also sign the final agreement for joint manufacture of
fifth generation fighters, local media reported.
Acording to the delivery agreement for Admiral
Gorshkov, an irritant in the bilateral ties, New Delhi would
shell out an additional USD 2.35 billion for the upgradation
of the carrier and training of Indian naval crews, it said.
Besides holding bilateral talks with Singh, Putin will
also meet President Pratibha Patil during his visit.
On the eve of Putin`s visit, sources said Singh will
accord a red-carpet welcome to Putin like his Soviet-era
predecessor Alexei Kosygin was received by the then Prime
Minister Indira Gandhi in 1968.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Narendra Modi's big plan for PoK refugees in India – A Rs 2,000 crore package
- Kerala train derail: Services resume in Ernakulam-Thrissur route
- Meet Lachlan Smart – The Aussie teen who becomes youngest pilot to fly solo around the world!
- Suicide bombing kills 11 at Yemen army camp: Officials
- iBerry launches 'India's first 4GB Ram unibody smartphone' at Rs 15,990