`Quashing reservation in promotions against SC/ST`
New Delhi: In the wake of the Supreme Court overruling the Uttar Pradesh government`s decision to provide reservations in job promotions, the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) said the directive, if implemented, will go against the rights of scheduled castes and scheduled tribes.
Raising the issue in the Rajya Sabha during a short duration discussion, BSP leader Satish Chandra Misra said action needed to be taken on the matter soon.
"If this decision (of not giving reservation in promotion) is implemented, promotions given to SCs and STs all across the country will have to be reverted. This will be against their rights," Misra said.
"Not only this, the rights of future generations of SCs and STs will also be affected," he said, adding that discrimination against these groups was continuing.
"For bringing equality, reservation is required," he asserted.
The issue was raised by BSP chief Mayawati Monday, when she demanded an amendment in the constitution to safeguard reservation for SCs and STs in promotions in jobs.
The Supreme Court had last Friday overruled the Uttar Pradesh government`s decision to provide reservations in government job promotions.
The decision, introduced in 2007 when Mayawati led the Uttar Pradesh government, had caused major furore in the state with over 10 lakh employees being aggrieved by the decision to reserve promotions in top posts for the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP