Quattrocchi stands discharged in Bofors case: Antony
New Delhi: The government does not plan to launch any fresh probe into the Bofors gun deal and Ottavio Quattrocchi stands "discharged" as he could not be extradited even after 20 years of registration of the case, Defence Minister AK Antony said here on Monday.
In a written reply in Lok Sabha, he said, "An application for withdrawal of court case against Ottavio Quattrocchi was filed by Public Prosecutor on October 3, 2009 in the court of the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, who passed an order allowing withdrawal of prosecution case against Ottavio Quattrocchi."
Quattrocchi had left India on July 29-30, 1993, before CBI had any material evidence warranting his arrest, he said.
"Consequently, he (Quattrocchi) stands discharged from the case," Antony said.
He said that the measures to get Quattrocchi extradited from Malaysia and Argentina could not succeed.
"As per the information provided by CBI, the measures taken for extradition of accused Ottavio Quattrochhi from Malaysia and Argentina could not succeed even 20 years after the registration of the case," he said.
The minister replied in the negative to a query whether the government plans to launch a fresh probe to look into the 1986 Bofors deal.
In reply to a question on extending civil contempt powers to the Armed Forces Tribunals, Antony said, "The AFT (Amendment) Bill 2012 has been introduced in Parliament which inter alia includes the provision for grant of powers of civil contempt to the AFT."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 7th Pay Commission: Non-performing govt employees to not get annual increment
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way
- 10-year-old boy injured after minor girl forces sex in Kanpur
- Plane catches fire while making emergency landing in Singapore