Question Hour stalled in Parliament
New Delhi: Question Hour was stalled in both the Houses of Parliament on Thursday as UPA constituent DMK and opposition members created uproar over the arrest of Indian fishermen by Sri Lanka and the terror attack in Kashmir.
DMK and AIADMK members trooped into the Well of the Lok Sabha while three AIADMK members squatted in the Well of the Rajya Sabha demanding that the government make efforts to ensure release of over 50 fishermen arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
In the Lok Sabha, trouble began as soon as Speaker Meira Kumar made an obituary reference to the five CRPF jawans killed in a terror attack in Srinagar yesterday.
Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj demanded a statement on the attack from Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who was not present in the House.
"Does our duty get over after paying homage to the victims every time a terror attack takes place. They come here and behead our soldier, they dress up as sportsmen and carry out suicide attacks. How long will this continue," she asked.
BJP members were on their feet raising slogans against the government and demanding Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Shinde`s presence in the House.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Pawan Singh Ghatowar`s assurance that the Home Minister would make a statement at noon failed to pacify the opposition members.
DMK, AIADMK, CPI and VCK members were in the Well waving placards demanding the release of Indian fishermen arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
The Speaker made repeated appeals to the members to return to their seats and raise the issue during Zero Hour. As members were unrelenting, she adjourned the House till noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in