Question Hour washed out in Lok Sabha over UPSC issue
New Delhi: Question Hour was washed out in Lok Sabha on Friday as the House witnessed two adjournments after uproar over "neglect" of Hindi and other regional languages in the Union Public Service Commission examinations.
As soon as the House met for the day, SP and RJD members trooped into the Well to register their protest on the alleged "insult" to Hindi in the UPSC examinations.
SP members, led by Dharmendra Yadav, walked into the Well, followed by RJD members Lalu Prasad and Raghuvansh Prasad Singh among others.
Amid the din, Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the House till 11:30 AM.
When the House re-convened, the number of protesters swelled with DMK, Shiv Sena and JD(U) members joining the SP and RJD in the Well.
"Angrezi me kaam na hoga. Phir se desh ghulaam na hoga (There will be no work in English. The country will not be a slave again)," they shouted.
PC Chacko, who was in the Chair, called for the Question Hour but nothing could be heard amid the din.
His repeated requests to members to return to their seats found no takers. Chacko then adjourned the House till noon.
SP and RJD had given adjournment notice for discussion on the new changes in the UPSC examination pattern making English compulsory in civil service exams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss