Quota bill can be challenged in court, warns SP
New Delhi: Strongly opposed to quota for government job promotions, Samajwadi Party today asked the government to rethink on the bill, warning that it could have a very serious fall-out and may be challenged in court.
Participating in a debate on the bill in Rajya Sabha, Ram Gopal Yadav (SP) said government was pushing the consitutional amendment bill just "for some people", an apparent reference to BSP.
"What is wrong is wrong. Think again and introspect before voting. Don`t vote against your conscience. People will rectify it," Yadav said.
"The bill if passed will get challenged in the court. It will be scrutinised in the Supreme Court," he said, adding as far as reservation in jobs at the entry level is concerned, it is justifiable but after that people should be treated equally.
His party member Naresh Agrawal demanded that the Bill should be reffered to Parliamentary Standing Committee to avoid a possible wide-spread uproar in the country.
"I would urge the government to refer the Bill to the Standing Committee...What`s the problem if it is sent to the Committee?" Agrawal asked.
SP has been resisting even a discussion on the Bill for quite some time now. Two party members were asked to withdraw from the House last week for protesting against the measure.
"SP is not against reservation...If 82 per cent of the people are not accepting the Bill, it (the passing of the Bill) will create division, we are moving behind. It will have a very serious fall out in the future," he said.
Agrawal, whose party is a clear minority in opposing the Bill in the Upper House, requested members belonging to other parties to vote not on party lines, but as per their inner voice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees