Quota bill: Congress lauds floor managers for finding a way out
New Delhi: With the Rajya Sabha taking up the controversial quota in promotion bill after a high drama, Congress on Thursday complimented its floor managers for finding a way out of the tussle between SP and BSP on the measure.
The party was hopeful of the passage of the bill, saying it was "committment" of Congress much before BSP took it up or SP opposed it. It also dismissed suggestions of any instability vis-a-vis the government for taking up the bill.
The bill was taken up for consideration after BSP stalled Parliament for a few days demanding its early passage and warning the government of a tough stand against it if it did not happen.
"We had brought the bill even before BSP raised the issue or SP opposed it or FDI issue came. It has been a committment of Congress. This issue is related to social justice. Neither we made it a political issue nor we will make.
"Promotion in reservation existed earlier as well. Then the Supreme Court gave certain views. We want that the previous situation prevails," party spokesperson Sandip Dikshit told reporters here.
Party leaders said that the developments leading to the House smoothly taking up the bill for consideration were "pre- planned" with Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamalnath and his team burning the mid-night oil to find a way when SP and BSP, both outside supporters of UPA government, were at loggerheads.
It was a ticklish task well accomplished after crucial voting on FDI in retail last week, they said.
"We congratulate the government and the floor managers and hope that Rajya Sabha will pass the Constitution amendment bill," Dikshit said at the AICC briefing.
He said that the government has said if anybody has any objections to the provisions, it is ready to discuss that.
When pointed out that government employees in Uttar Pradesh had gone on a flash strike protesting against the measure, the Congress spokesperson said, "When there is an issue of social justice or the deprivation of certain communities is addressed, there may be certain communities that feel concerned."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department