‘Quota Bill ploy to divert attention from Coalgate
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday accused the government of bringing the Bill providing for quota for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in promotions in government jobs to divert attention from Coalgate.
BJP leaders insisted that the party has always stood for social justice and espoused the cause of SCs/STs and the most backward and that no section of the party was opposed to the Bill.
"The manner in which the Bill seeking a constitutional amendment for reservation in promotions for SC/ST was brought shows that the government is using it as a diversionary tactic.... This is a clear ploy of diversion from the fight against corruption," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
BJP sources said government brought the Bill in a "hurried manner" without discussing it in the Business Advisory Committee meeting of the Rajya Sabha though all parties, barring SP, had pledged their support to it.
The main Opposition also questioned the motive behind calling an unscheduled Cabinet meeting at short notice yesterday just to clear this Bill.
"This was also done on a day when the CBI was conducting raids in coal block allocation anomalies and Congress MP Vijay Darda was one of those who were raided," a BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why