Quota for disabled not fully utilised in most states: UN
New Delhi: Noting that quota for the disabled in jobs, education and poverty alleviation schemes remains under-utilised, a UN report has recommended adopting a uniform eligibility definition across departments and filling the backlog in vacancies.
"While three percent of employment and livelihood schemes are reserved for Persons with Disabilities (PwD), available data reveals that this reservation is not fully utilised in most states excepting in Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh", said the report by United Nations Development Program (UNDP) which was released today.
Commissioned by Planning Commission and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the report on `Livelihood Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities` has prepared a comprehensive overview of the issues of disabled people and the opportunities available to them.
"This study supported by UNDP focuses on building a scientific knowledge base towards implementing larger scale, sustained and more effective interventions to improve the livelihood options of PwD in India in the coming years," Planning Commission Member Narendra Jadhav said.
He also said the report will prove to be useful in preparing schemes for PwD in the forthcoming Five Year Plan.
Recommending measures to improve livelihood opportunities for the PwD, the report has suggested adopting a uniform definition of disability across all government department and other organisations.
"There is a need to standardise and adopt a uniform definition of disability across government departments, policies and civil society organisation," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre