Quraishi assumes charge as new CEC
New Delhi: Assuming charge as the new Chief Election Commissioner, SY Quraishi on Friday said the poll panel would accord priority to restricting the role of money power in elections which has become a major challenge.
Quraishi, the 17th CEC, said the Commission had held a series of discussions among expenditure observers to find out the areas it could focus on to strengthen checks and controls to prevent misuse of money power.
"We will come out with detailed guidelines. They are being fine tuned. By the end of August, they would have been in place. We hope we will be able to tighten our control on
the use of money power," Quraishi, a 1971 batch IAS officer, told reporters after taking over.
Enhancing the participation of voters in polls would also receive the Commission`s due priority, said 63-year-old Quraishi, who would be conducting Assembly polls in Bihar,
Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Kerala and Assam.
To a question on use of EVMs in the backdrop of the experience in Andhra Pradesh bypolls where manual voting took place in five constituencies, he said the Commission was constantly working towards making EVMs absolutely fool-proof.
"There seems to be no reason," he said when asked whether the Commission would give a second thought on use of EVMs.
Quraishi succeeds Navin Chawla who demitted office yesterday.
CEC said the panel would continuously strive to conduct free and fair elections wherever and whenever required.
Replying to a question on the Government`s move to give voting rights to NRIs, Quraishi said though the EC favoured it, there were several logistical issues such as who
could be given voting rights and whether voting could be carried out through postal ballot needed to be worked out.
He said the EC and the Overseas Ministry has had a few meetings in this regard.
Expressing concern over the growing syndrome of paid news, he said the Commission had recently issued tougher guidelines to prevent this phenomena.
Asked about the issue of biometric cards in elections, he said the Commission has still not come to a conclusion on the best alternative but, at some point of time, the system
will be used for electoral rolls. "We are studying it. It is a good idea".
He said 85 percent of the 714 million voters have already been provided with voter identity cards and "when we issue more cards the unique identification numbers will be
superimposed along with EC card numbers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in