R-Day: IAF bags best marching contingent award
New Delhi: The Indian Air Force has
bagged the `Best Marching Contingent` award amongst the three
Services at this year`s Republic Day Parade while the Indo-
Tibetan Border Police has been adjudged the best amongst the
More than 10 contingents of the three Services marched
on the Rajpath and included horse-mounted columns of Army`s 61
Cavalry, Punjab Regiment, Grenadiers Regiment, Rajputana
Rifles Regiment, Rajput Regiment, Sikh Light Infantry
Regiment, Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry, 3 Gorkha Rifles
and the Territorial Army along with a column each of the navy
and the Air Force.
The marching contingents of paramilitary and other
auxiliary civil forces included Border Security Force, Assam
Rifles, Coast Guard, Central Reserve Police Force,
Indo-Tibetan Border Police, Central Industrial Security Force,
Sashastra Seema Bal, Railway Protection Force, Delhi Police,
National Cadet Corps and National Service Scheme.
Among the 23 tableaux showcasing their respective
states and ministries, the tableau from Delhi, with its theme
of cultural and religious harmony in the national capital, has
bagged the coveted first prize.
The awards to the winning contingents would be given
away by Defence Minister AK Antony on Monday.
The Karnataka tableau, depicting the exotic handicraft
of Bidriware from Bidar region, and Jammu & Kashmir tableau,
portraying the Bhand Pather folk theatre from Kashmir Valley,
has won the Second and Third Prize respectively in this
Among the five School Children Items that took part in
the Parade, the ‘Bhangra’ dance from Punjab, performed by
children from the North Zone Cultural Centre, Patiala has been
adjudged the best.
‘Rangeelo Rajasthan’, presented by Government Girls
Senior Secondary School, Amalwas, Delhi, has been given a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez