R-Day: Terror threat to Delhi?
New Delhi: Terror threats are looming large on the Republic Day parade in the National Capital on 26th January, highly placed sources in the intelligence agencies told Zee News.
After receiving the intelligence information, an elaborate ground-to-air security apparatus has been put in place for the Republic Day parade.
Over 25,000 police personnel, including those from paramilitary forces and sharpshooters from NSG, have been deployed in the run-up to the celebrations.
As part of the stepped up measures, the airspace over the capital will remain closed for an hour tomorrow from 11.15 am to 12.15 pm.
Snipers have been deployed at high-rise buildings while over 160 CCTVs are keeping a tight vigil on people`s movement between Rajpath and Red Fort, the route of the parade which showcases India`s military might and cultural diversity.
Mobile hit teams, anti-aircraft guns and sharpshooters of the NSG are also on the job at various places while paramilitary and Delhi Police commandos were keeping a close watch along the route of the eight-kilometre-long Republic Day parade from Raisana Hills to Red Fort.
A multi-layered security ring has already been put in place at Rajpath, where President Pratibha Patil will unfurl the tricolour and take the salute of marching contingents. Besides the air defence measures, helicopters of the Indian Air Force will hover around Rajpath and all along the route of the parade.
Patrolling in crowded market areas has been intensified and checking and frisking in Metro, railway stations and bus terminals tightened. Security at the IGI airport has also been strengthened in coordination with the CISF.
Checking and frisking have also been intensified at all entry points with police setting up barricades to keep a vigil on all those entering the capital.
Security has been similarly stepped up in the metropolises and sensitive states like Jammu and Kashmir and the North East.
A general alert has been sounded in Mumbai and security has been beefed up in the metropolis. Nearly 40,000 police personnel have spread out across the metropolis to maintain a tight vigil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey