Radar sensors to be set up along coastlines
New Delhi: The Centre has launched a Rs
350-crore project to set up radar sensors along the country`s
coastlines for surveillance to prevent terrorists from
entering the nation to repeat the Mumbai-type attack.
The chain of radar sensors along the entire 7,517-km
coastline, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep is
being set up by the Coast Guard under a Home Ministry scheme.
The radar sensors will be fitted on light houses at 46
locations, out of which 36 are in mainland, six in Lakshadweep
Islands and four in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Radar sensors use Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave to
reliably detect moving or stationary objects even in extreme
"The government has been on continuing basis reviewing
security arrangements of our coastline in the light of
emerging challenges, including from terrorists. The decision
to set up a chain of radar sensors has been taken to
strengthen the coastal security," an official said.
As part of the overall coastal security, the Navy has
been designated as the authority responsible for overall
maritime security which includes coastal and offshore
The Indian Coast Guard is additionally designated as the
authority responsible for coastal security in territorial
waters, including areas patrolled by State Coastal Police.
The first phase of the Coastal Security Scheme provides
for setting up of 73 coastal police stations, 97 check posts,
58 outposts and 30 operational barracks, equipped with 204
vessels and vehicles in the nine coastal states and four
coastal Union Territories.
Last month, the government had approved the second phase
of the coastal security scheme to be implemented from April 1,
2011 at a cost of Rs 1,100 crore.
The Ministry of Shipping has also been mandated to
streamline the process of registration of all types of vessels
-- fishing as well as non-fishing -- and also to ensure
fitting of navigational and communication equipment on these
Of India`s total coastline, 5,423 km is along the
mainland and 2,094 km in the Andaman and Nicobar and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video