Radia tapes not restricted to 2G spectrum alone: SC
New Delhi: Scrutiny of the tapped conversations of former corporate lobbyist Niira Radia with influential people has revealed that they were not restricted to 2G spectrum alone and "throw light on different" spheres including, recruitment of members in Railway Board, the Supreme Court said on Friday.
The apex court, which perused the confidential reports of the 10-member committee, said the scrutiny of call details of Radia with politicians, corporates and others reflect the issues concerning national security and appointments of members in Railway Board.
Observing that "the recent issue concerning the Railway Board Member" also comes to light on scrutiny of the intercepted conversations of Radia, a bench of justices GS Singhvi and V Gopal Gowda said, "actually money is paid".
However, it cautioned that "there should not be one-sided view" and there should be a thorough probe supported by material as the issues are "extremely serious".
"On the aspect of the security of the nation, the report is hazy but extremely serious and needs thorough scrutiny of the call details. We would not like to have it unless some substantial material is found.
"They are throwing light on different aspects. Our perception was that everything was related to spectrum etc but it is far more wide and different altogether. There is serious cloud on some of the issues," the bench observed.
"On national security, you (CBI) have to be very cautious which we pointed out. Till something is found, it should not become a matter of speculation because it harms the national interest. The agencies involved must be given enough time to completely look into the matter," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city