Rahman Khan makes a comeback with Cabinet rank
New Delhi: K Rahman Khan, a veteran Parliamentarian who had a nearly six-year stint as Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha, makes a comeback into the Union Council of Ministers with a promotion to Cabinet rank.
The re-entry of 73-year-old leader from Karnataka in the government was anticipated when he relinquished the charge of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman earlier this year after which he was re-elected to the House for a fourth term.
A chartered accountant by profession, he became a Minister of State in UPA I.
Khan became Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha in 2006 and his handling of the House was by and large appreciated by all sections.
His induction comes close on the heels of resignation of External Affairs Minister S M Krishna, who is a Lok Sabha member from Karnataka.
Khan was a member of the Karnataka Legislative Council and later became its chairman in 1993 before being elected to the Rajya Sabha in 1995.
He had been a member of Joint Parliamentary Committee on functioning of Wakf Boards and the one on Securities Scam.
Born to Khasim Khan, a school teacher and Khairunnisa at Krishnarajpet, Mandya District of Karnataka, Khan did his pre-schooling at a nearby Village. He later joined Banmaya`s College at Mysore.
Married to Ayesha, the couple have five children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video