`Rahul a national leader, people like Modi can’t rule`
Lucknow: Within weeks of his elevation to the post of party vice-president, Congress MP Rahul Gandhi has been termed as the PM candidate by Union Minister Beni Prasad Varma, who says there is no comparison between the Gandhi scion and Narendra Modi as the former is a "national leader".
"My prime ministerial candidate is Rahul Gandhi, Congress will decide when it has to. I have been saying this openly for past two years," Varma said here.
Amid speculation that the Gujarat CM can spearhead the BJP campaign in 2014 polls, Varma brushed aside any comparison between Rahul and Modi, saying only Rahul "has the ability to run the country" and "people like Modi cannot run it".
"Rahul is the leader of the country. He has travelled the length and breadth and has his own organisation of youth and NSUI in every state. Modi is chief minister of a state. Only Rahul has the ability to run the country. People like Modi cannot run it," he said.
When asked about Modi`s third successive victory and Congress`s failure in UP and Bihar under Rahul, Varma said Congress leaders like Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi ruled the country for over four decades.
Varma said while Rahul thinks for country`s poor, backward and minorities, Modi works with a bias towards minorities and hence, leaders like him should not come to power.
"There was Atal`s charisma once, but at that time (also) it was not a majority (government), but alliance. Atalji was somewhat balanced," he said.
While Rahul enjoys overwhelming support within the party, there has been an internal bickering within the party against Modi, the minister claimed.
On being asked whether Congress can touch the figure of 60 out of 80 Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh, the minister said he will not "stake claims as made by SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav".
Acknowledging that the party committed a few mistakes which cost it in the UP Assembly polls, Varma claimed the Congress-led UPA will again return to power at the Centre.
When asked why will the people vote for Congress after being faced with issues like corruption and inflation, Varma said the party will go to voters with a vision to take the country forward, besides several measures for the benefit of farmers and people from weaker sections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre