Rahul as prime ministerial candidate prerogative of Cong: Karat
Kolkata: A day after RJD chief Lalu Prasad batted for Rahul Gandhi as the Congress prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 elections, the CPI(M) on Saturday said that it was the prerogative of the Congress to project their leader.
"I don`t know why this question is being asked to the CPI(M). As far as who will be their leader, who will be their Prime Ministerial candidate, let them take a decision," CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash told a press conference here at the end of the party`s central committee meeting.
"We can say something if necessary at an appropriate time about that. But it has nothing to do with us," he said.
"As far as our party`s understanding and the political line decided in the last party congress, it has called for the defeat of the Congress and BJP," Karat said.
"It is very clear as far our party`s position is concerned. It doesn`t matter who will be the leader of the Congress party," Karat said.
Terming the Congress led UPA regime as the most corrupt government since independence, Karat slammed it for announcing deregulation of diesel and said it would have a disastrous effect on common man.
"This present government is not at all bothered about the common man. It is only bothered about the big corporate houses. This is the most corrupt government since independence," said Karat.
Yesterday, batting for the Congress General Secretary, Prasad had asked "What is wrong with Rahul Gandhi, tell me?"
Commenting on Lalu Prasad`s comment yesterday that he did not foresee formation of a third front during the 2014 elections, Karat said "RJD has decided to go along with the Congress party in Bihar also. Probably he doesn`t see the scope for formation of any other front now. We don`t share his views.
"Our party will work for the strengthening of non Congress non-BJP forces in the country. But we are also not advocating a third front at present. We don`t how it will take shape or in what form. Right now we are not in the business of forming a third front.
"We are now focusing on strengthening the Left and rally the democratic and secular forces. At the time of election we might have some understanding with some non Congress, secular parties. But we are not emphasizing on the projection of the front. So we are not talking about it. That stage is not finished," said Karat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo