Rahul Gandhi all set for promotion as Cong rejig likely this week
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi is set to assume a "larger" role in the Congress very soon with the reshuffle of the AICC secretariat on the cards this week.
With the much talked about rejig of the Union Council of Ministers over today, Congress President Sonia Gandhi is expected to focus her attention to the organisational changes to make the party battle ready ahead of Lok Sabha elections.
"Well, I have already mentioned a number of times that I will be happy if he joins the Cabinet, but he has other pre-occupations. He wants to strengthen the party," was the refrain of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today when asked about Gandhi.
An indication to Rahul`s imminent promotion in party hierarchy was available when party general secretary Digvijay Singh told reporters in Bhopal to wait till the reshuffle in the party when he was asked why Gandhi was not taken into the Cabinet or given any new post in the party.
"When there will be reshuffle in Congress, wait till that time," he said.
Another senior AICC functionary speaking in the national capital hinted that the much awaited reshuffle of the organisation is likely to happen "anytime now".
Union Minister Ambika Soni, who resigned from the Cabinet yesterday, is tipped to play a key role in the organisational affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery